Welcome to The OBay Shelties blog! Our blog is an honest diary of our life with our dogs along with news from Obay shelties around the world.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Wow!

A few months ago I started writing a column for the Agility Voice magazine. It was a series of articles called "Raising A Wicked Agility Dog". In the articles I wrote about how I raised Hex and how I started her agility training. I enjoyed writing the articles and putting ideas in writing really helps me remember what I do. Sometimes I do things automatically but this time I had to stop and think "Why do I do that?".

I have gotten some nice feedback about the article and that has been great. I did the articles because I believe in my training and I wanted to share it with others. But I also got one or two comments about how I should feel worried if Hex doesn't perform to expectations! I tried to ignore these comments, but hey,I am only human!

I felt that Hex will be the type of sheltie that will only get faster as we do more full courses. So, imagine my suprise when she came out on her first weekend and ran 6 runs , all clear in nice fast times. At her first show, as I wrote already, she got 2 second places. Well, the second day at a local unaffiliated show (non-Kennel club show) Hex decided to do alot better......4 runs, 4 clears and 4 first places! The classes ranged from 35 dogs in the novice classes to 60-ish dogs in the open classes. And her times were equal or better, over the same course, than the bigger heights.

Hex and I still have a long way to go in our training. We need to become a "team" and that just takes practice.

I am reading a great book right now called "Shaping Success: The Education of An Unlikely Champion" by Susan Garrett. I am only 1/3 the way thru it, but really enjoying it. In one chapter there was a quote that I loved and it is my goal in raising and training all my puppies!

"There is a real magic in enthusiasm. It spells the difference between mediocrity and accomplishment" (quote by Norman Vincent Peale)

Hex has the enthusiasm for everything and know she will go far!

No comments: